Customers are drawn to a website by beautiful images. That is how powerful product photography can be. It is an impactful marketing tool that tells a story and attracts the right customers to your store. However, with poor-quality images, you will not grab the attention of serious buyers. Besides, low-quality product photography can be misleading, causing a high bounce rate, which translates to low returns and can ruin your bottom-line. If you want to succeed in an e-commerce business, you need to create top-notch product photos. What if you do not know how to create e-commerce product photographs?
Read on for insights on getting your e-commerce up and running, the importance of professional product pictures and the process of hiring a product photography company.
Nowadays, shopping online is not a luxury or convenience but a necessity. With the ongoing lockdowns, the e-commerce industry is booming since it is the safest method of shopping. Therefore, when building an e-commerce business, your goal should be to build a scalable and profitable business that will last.
Starting an e-commerce business requires more than picking a brand name and choosing a product listing. You have to choose a niche, negotiate with manufacturers and craft descriptions for each product. Below is the process for building up an e-commerce business from scratch:
While you can sell anything online and digital buyers increase daily, you should give good thought to the products you wish to sell and your business model. You can provide a service like courses, subscriptions and memberships. Physical products and digital goods like eBooks, apps and software also provide endless opportunities.
Once you identify the niche and products, choose a model for fulfilling your customers’ needs. You can hold your inventory and remain in charge of shipping or create a dropshipping business, and the manufacturer will deliver the goods directly to the customers.
Registering your e-commerce start-up will set the ball rolling. You can make deals with other companies using the brand name, create accounts and seek payment providers’ services. It is crucial to get the paperwork and licence to ensure you are operating legally. However, when choosing a brand name, find one that gives your customers an idea of your products. Once you settle on a brand name, you should purchase a domain name that resonates with your brand.
You need an e-commerce platform to set up a functional online store. While various platforms can work, not all will suit your customers. When starting, look for a standard e-commerce platform, especially when you want to sell shippable goods or digital products. If you are considering a multi-vendor marketplace, you need a customisable platform that will blend well with your business.
Your store design is crucial since it is the first point of contact with potential buyers. While the design should be visually pleasing, that should not be the sole consideration. Conduct market research and find out the best designs that will suit your niche and products. Analyse the competitions for ideas on creating a home page and product listings and deciding on the best themes. However, your design should highlight the products; avoid decorative elements that draw attention away from your products.
Check out your competition and how they display their products. For instance, do they write an in-depth product description or showcase key features? If you are selling popular items like phones, listing distinguishing features will suffice. You must also figure out whether to mention the price at the top of the product or mention it last. Sometimes bringing up the price too soon will hurt your sales.
In e-commerce, you need to use both words and images to sell your products. However, not all pictures are equal; taking photos with your phone is not the same as finding a professional photographer. Why do you need high-quality product photography?
• Accurate Representation of Products: Research shows that 20% of product returns are due to inaccurate representation. If the products look different from the pictures on your website, customers will return or write negative reviews. Therefore, your images should be clear and well-lit to provide the right representation of the product regardless of the device or screen size.
• Unique Images Attract Attention: Proper e-commerce product photography should produce striking images with high-resolution from multiple angles. The creativity used will attract customers’ attention and reduces bounce rates. You can also use the photos on your social media pages to generate traffic to your website.
• Compensates for Offline Retail Stores’ In-Person Experience: Online shoppers want to learn about the product before ordering. High-quality images and descriptions compensate for the sense of touch used in offline stores when choosing products.
• Enhances Product Descriptions: Pictures work hand-in-hand with product descriptions and provide an accurate and detailed product overview. High-quality pictures will boost your marketing efforts.
Every product should have at least three types of photos to boost visibility. These images include a general look photo that displays the product from various angles, up-close photos of the product parts and images highlighting its uses. However, the challenge is creating memorable photos. Some manufacturers will provide images, but it is advisable to find a professional product photographer. Experts guarantee high-quality photography since they have the necessary equipment and experience to produce a masterpiece. What should you consider when finding a product photography company?
• Experience: You need a professional that can bring out the best in your products and handle the items well. An experienced photographer can adapt to unforeseen issues and is creative enough to highlight the best features.
• Portfolio: Look at the photographer’s previous work to determine if they can handle product photography. If their portfolio is full of portraits and a few product images, find another photographer.
• Turnaround Time: You need to know the duration it takes, from shooting the photos to editing. You can talk to references to find out any issues with time. For instance, do you have to go back and forth before they get it right during the first shoot?
• Knowledge in Lighting and Editing: Lighting makes a significant difference in product photos, and a photographer can utilise their expertise to produce perfect shots. Editing is also vital in improving the quality of the photos.
When looking for e-commerce product photography, do not rush the process. Research the company and conduct an interview. While you cannot do a face-to-face meeting to discuss your project, a video call and portfolios will give you the required information to make the right decision.